March 5, 2009

Dirty Floors

One of our most messy things to eat is RICE.  The girls love it and would eat it every night if we'd give it to them.  But they tend to get it all over themselves and when they get up from the table to wash their hands, it falls everywhere.  Before you know it, many sticky pieces are all over the floor of the kitchen, chairs, table and socks and feet smash the little rices into the floor and carpet.  I'm too much of a clean freak, and this just drives me crazy!  So, now to the funny part...  My girls have been so helpful today.  Annie has had an ear infection and they have been so sweet with her even though she's been totally sad.  So, while I was feeding the baby a bottle, I asked Lexi (who's always done with dinner first, no matter what) to go around on the floor and pick up the little rice pieces before they got smashed into the floor.  She immediately obeyed and fell to her hands and knees and got to work.  Well, before I knew it, I looked up and she'd finished, but I didn't see her go to the sink to drop the rice in and wash her hands.  Thinking she'd just thrown the picked-up rice into a pile in a corner somewhere, I angrily asked what happened to all the rice.  Sweet Lexi looked up with a sheepish and innocent grin and then, and only then, did I realize that she'd actually eaten all the rice up off of the floor.  It gave me a much-needed laugh.  Who needs a Hoover when you've got children???

1 comment:

Kim said...

That is too cute. Aspen doesn't like to help clean up the floor. She thinks I want her to eat it, so until the garbage can is present she won't lift a finger.