January 31, 2010

My new hobby

For the last 7 1/2 years, I've completely given up hobbies (unless you count reading or cooking, which have worked well to stall my creative outlets.) For me, being a mom doesn't mix that well with making more messes or taking time out of a day to do something for yourself. Of course, I treat myself to naps, haircuts, shopping, etc. But only on pretty rare occasions. So for the past couple of months, I've been OBSESSED with home decor blogs. LOVE THEM!!! I could (and do) read them forever and I've learned so much about DIY projects (enough to try them myself!) I learned a couple of years ago that I really like to refinish furniture (kitchen cabinet makeover).
Here's the after:
Here's the before:
Here's what I did this weekend: The old piano bench in 70's yellow velvet...
to a newer version... don't look too closely, this is my first reupholstery.

I also decided to paint this old mirror that nobody wanted... It's perfect for G and L's room.
Doncha love it??? Now I'm a spray painting fool. I've used chalkboard paint, and every color of spray paint you can think of. I'm also starting to sew again!!! I've always been disappointed in my searches for great home furnishings. Now I'm so thrilled that I can just make my own!!!

4 comments:

Jeff and Michelle Galovan said...

Im totally into all that stuff too right now! Too bad you dont live closer so we can whip stuff up together! Everything you did is sooo cute!

The Lenehan Family said...

I have a changing table that i need to refinish before the baby comes....how much do you charge??? I do need some tips though, so I'll be calling you.

The Wright Stuff said...

I absolutely LOVE the easel mirror!!! I have been trying to find one (somewhat inexpensive) for Hailey's room! You did a great job! Sooo cute!

Cassie said...

What great makeovers! I LOVE that mirror!